Barcelona’s sporting director Mateu Alemany insists the club have not made a decision over Frenkie De Jong following Manchester United’s interest.
Incoming United manager Erik ten Hag is understood to have made the signing of De Jong, who he managed at Ajax, one of his priorities for the upcoming transfer window.
However, without the lure of Champions League football at Old Trafford next season, United could face difficulty in convincing the Netherlands international to make the move.
Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain are also keeping tabs on De Jong’s situation as Barcelona are considering selling their £65 million signing in order to balance their finances.
But speaking on Sunday, Alemany claims Barcelona have yet to determine whether they will be open to offers for De Jong this summer.
‘We have not made any decision regarding the squad,’ Alemany told Movistar.
‘Frenkie is a quality player, he’s very important and we will go from situation to situation.
‘We are conditioned by financial fair play, conditioned by the situation inherited by the club. We must be patient.
‘We are clear that we are going to strengthen the team. It is necessary and we want to opt for the titles next year.’
- De Jong’s dream shirt number made available at Man Utd ahead of transfer
- Man United stars reacts as Erik ten Hag issues strong warning
- Frenkie De Jong makes unexpected U-turn on joining Man United
- Chelsea announce 4 players to depart Stamford Bridge in addition to Antonio Rudiger
- David Beckham names best player he ever played with during his career