Frenkie de Jong has made his decision ahead of the summer transfer as Manchester United consider him one of the major targets this summer. The midfielder has told Erik ten Hag his preference.
Ten Hag has made De Jong one of his top targets for the summer window as the new United manager looks to rebuild his midfield at Old Trafford ahead of next season.
Barcelona are understood to be open to selling De Jong this summer in order to balance their finances but the Spanish club are demanding a £70 million fee for the 25-year-old.
However, De Jong is adamant that he wants to remain at Camp Nou and insists he has not been told by the club that United have made a concrete approach.
‘I used to be reckless when I was asked about other clubs,
that time has passed,’ De Jong told Dutch media on Tuesday.
Asked if he had been approached, De Jong replied: ‘I can’t say anything about that but I prefer to stay at Barcelona.
- De Jong’s dream shirt number made available at Man Utd ahead of transferManchester United have made their opening bid for Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who would find his preferred shirt number […]
- Man United stars reacts as Erik ten Hag issues strong warningManchester United boss, Erik ten Hag, has warned the players that he will not tolerate egos in the dressing room. […]
- Frenkie De Jong makes unexpected U-turn on joining Man UnitedBarcelona midfielder, Frenkie de Jong, has made a U-turn on joining Manchester United this summer. The midfielder is now ready […]
‘I have already said it before, Barcelona are the club of my dreams since I was little. If other clubs call I will take the call, of course. It is something that is always done.’
De Jong, however, did acknowledge that he is aware of his links with a move to United.
‘Of course I get that, too,’ said the midfielder.
‘But I have not heard anything from the club’s management, so I assume that nothing is concrete, or that an agreement has already been reached. Then there’s no point in worrying about it.’
De Jong was also asked about a potential reunion with his former manager at Ajax.
‘That is a logical link, given my past with Erik ten Hag,’ said De Jong.
‘But that’s what it is… the link is logical, anyone can make it.’
Asked if he had spoken to Ten Hag about joining United, De Jong replied: ‘I can’t say anything more about that. I wouldn’t do that when it comes to other clubs or coaches.’
- De Jong’s dream shirt number made available at Man Utd ahead of transfer
- Man United stars reacts as Erik ten Hag issues strong warning
- Frenkie De Jong makes unexpected U-turn on joining Man United
- Chelsea announce 4 players to depart Stamford Bridge in addition to Antonio Rudiger
- David Beckham names best player he ever played with during his career