Jesse Lingard has shared a social media post after seemingly being denied an Old Trafford farewell during Manchester United’s win over Brentford on Monday night.
Lingard has endured a woeful campaign in Manchester and is among a host of players set to leave when his contract expires at the end of the season having initially joined United at nine years old.
Nemanja Matic and Juan Mata are also among that group with both starting against the Bees on Monday.
Both players were subbed off late on and given a standing ovation in what were their last appearances at Old Trafford. There was no similar gesture for Lingard however who remained on the bench with Edinson Cavani and Phil Jones coming on instead alongside Fred.
Lingard’s brother Louie Scott slammed the ‘classless’ decision with a scathing post on social media following the match.
Lingard also appears to have shared his bemusement, sharing a picture of himself as a child in United colours.
Explaining his decision not to bring on Lingard on Monday night, United boss Ralf Rangnick insisted it was merely a question of fitness.
‘Yes, but for personal and family reasons he didn’t train a lot,’ Rangnick revealed. ‘I think yesterday [Sunday] was the first training session after he asked me [to give him] some time at home.
‘Again, tonight was one of those nights where I would have loved to have five substitutes for other players; Alejandro Garnacho, I would have loved to have brought him on at 3-0 and let him play for 15 minutes.
‘Then I had to decide whether to bring on him or Edinson Cavani, and that’s why I decided to bring on Edinson.’
- Jules Kounde arrives, Christopher Nkunku deal – How Chelsea can spend £200m transfer budget
- Supercomputer predicts how Man Utd will fare in Erik ten Hag’s first season in charge
- Manchester United pre-season schedule 22/23: Who will CR7 & co face this summer?
- Champions League final: Real Madrid can expose growing weakness in key Liverpool tactic
- Four players Chelsea will try to sell in Boehly and Tuchel’s £200m transfer overhaul