Manchester United and Liverpool have both made an approach for Ajax winger Antony, according to reports in Brazil.
The 22-year-old has been one of Ajax’s standout performers under Erik ten Hag this season, scoring 12 goals and registering 10 assists in 33 appearances.
United are looking to bolster their attacking options after a woeful campaign and it’s understood that Ten Hag has identified Antony as a signing who could immediately improve his squad.
Ten Hag has now worked with Anthony for two seasons at Ajax and the Brazil international was quick to make an impact in the Eredivisie following his arrival from Sao Paulo in an £18.2 million deal in 2020.
However, UOL report Liverpool are also in the running to sign Antony and have made a concrete approach ‘in recent weeks’ along with United.
The report claims that Newcastle United have also made an approach but the Ajax winger’s preference would be to join either United or Liverpool.
In an interview with De Telegraaf on Monday, Ten Hag made his admiration for Antony clear.
‘If Antony were to go, it would be a loss for Ajax,’ Ten Hag said.
‘You have no-one in the current squad who can take over his position. He is top class.’
Speaking about Anthony’s impact on the Ajax team earlier this month, Ten Hag said: ‘Without Antony it is all a bit less fast and dynamic on the right, which also makes it more difficult for the team. Then the spaces become a lot smaller.’
Anthony’s current deal with Ajax expires in 2025.
- De Jong’s dream shirt number made available at Man Utd ahead of transfer
- Man United stars reacts as Erik ten Hag issues strong warning
- Frenkie De Jong makes unexpected U-turn on joining Man United
- Chelsea announce 4 players to depart Stamford Bridge in addition to Antonio Rudiger
- David Beckham names best player he ever played with during his career